Friday, February 3, 2023

The Development of Goals, Training Programs, and Abilities over the Years

 As we grow older, our memories and longing for our past selves can either serve us or hold us back. Our abilities change for better or for worse and simply remembering our past strengths will not help us face the challenges required of our bodies in the present. This is especially true for soldiers who must continuously adapt and refine their training programs to stay ahead of the threat.





"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

I grew up in the world of competitive sports, at first in the world of full contacts karate, from there I developed into wrestling, Sanshou and MMA, I've seen the evolution of my own abilities over the years. I started as a competitive fighter, then progressed to A soldier in a special unit , The years have rolled on and I now serve as a tactical instructor and trainer for fighters , wrestlers  and teams in the security forces. My goals and abilities have changed, but one thing has not - the threat. Can this threat be solved only when I was in my stronger years? Can I still adapt myself in the world of wrestling even when I've crossed the age of 40 and compete against 18 and 20-year-old boys? Will the next attacker to stab an 18-year-old boy in the street behave differently than a 50-year-old victim?

For example, as a wrestler, I have found that while my speed may not be what it was in my younger years, my ability to read my opponent has improved. The years have also allowed me to perfect my ability in making Sacrifice throws, which compensates for my deceased speed and enables me to face younger and stronger opponents. The same is true in the world of combat and security training, where the materials relevant to a 20-year-old soldier must be refined and adapted when working with veteran law enforcement, security personnel, or reservists.

In the world of Krav Maga and in the tactical world, a soldier's abilities will inevitably change with age. Training programs must be adjusted to reflect these changes without compromising operational success and safety. A soldier's ability to complete the mission successfully will be different at different stages in life, and their training program must be flexible enough to accommodate these changes.

Our updated training program for older soldiers in arrest and control focuses on reducing aggression and promoting a more measured approach. It prioritizes the integration of proper intelligence and emphasizes the development of risk and conflict management skills. Implementing these changes may prove challenging for young soldiers.

"The older I get, the more wisdom I find in the ancient rule of taking first things first. A process which often reduces the most complex human problem to a manageable proportion." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

It is a huge challenge for the instructor to correctly assess the limitations of their students and design a training program that works around them. The ability to coordinate a plan is critical, and must be subjective to the task at hand. Coordinating a plan is not about facilitating a certain technique or protocol, but rather about changing the structure of the protocol to enable the completion of the task.

"Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself." - Tom Wilson



Good trainer with a deep understanding of their students' abilities and limitations can effectively develop a training program that takes into account age-related changes in physical capabilities. Age is not an insurmountable obstacle, but rather a challenge that can be overcome with the right approach. By adapting to the changing needs of their students, trainers can help their soldiers maintain their effectiveness in the face of the ever-present threat. The key is to find a balance between training for physical competence and ensuring compliance with the operational mission, all while ensuring operational success and safety. As a fighter, an operative, and a trainer, it is important to continuously reacquire and refine one's skills, even as age advances, in order to remain relevant and effective in the face of the ongoing threat.


No comments:

Post a Comment